A recent survey of what we can call “Young Evangelicals” demonstrated some distress realities:
82% of this group believe that men have the ability to turn to God of their own initiative.
- 74% believe that individuals must do something or things that contribute in a functional way to their own salvation.
- 71% believe that Jesus Christ is the first and greatest being CREATED by God.
- 65% believe that God knows all that happens but that He has no deterministic part in what or why it happens.
- 57% believe that their Local Church has the authority to withhold communion and to excommunicate them (this refers to those who are evangelical and attend church at least once per year).
- 56% believe that the Holy Spirit is a “force” and NOT a personal Being.
- 54% believe that everyone sins a little, but that most people are good by nature.
- 48% believe that God accepts the acts of worship in every religion, including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
- 48% believe that even that smallest of sins deserves eternal damnation and that the issue is not a sinful nature or association with Adam.
- 42% believe that Worshipping alone or with one’s family is a way to replace Church.
- 39% think that their good deeds help to earn them a place in heaven.
- and finally 37% believe that God ALWAYS rewards faith with material blessings.
Just as an aside, in this survey, the Evangelical was defined as those who strongly agree that:
1. The Bible is the Highest authority
2. Evangelism is very important
3. Sin can only be removed by Jesus’ death on the cross.
4. Salvation comes ONLY by trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior.
We ought also note that virtually all of the heresies above were dealt with in the 3 great Church counsels ( 1st Council of Nicaea; 1st Council of Constantinople; the Council of Orange; and quite a number of them are refuted by the Book Romans.
We will continue on further in out study in our next post...
To red the rest of this Post - click the link below...