15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. (Col. 1:9-18)
In a sermon on “Enoch walked with God,” Dr. Campbell Morgan gave the following illustration:
· A little child gave a most exquisite explanation of walking with God.
· She went home from Sunday School, and the mother said, “Tell me what you learned at school.”
· And she said: “Don’t you know, Mother, one day they went for an extra long walk, and they walked on and on, until God said to Enoch,
· “You are a long way from home; you had better just come in and stay.” And he went.”
· So many think that walking with God is really a matter jus this simple.
· Well, it IS simple, but it is NOT childlike…
· Let’s think, this morning, about just how it is that we think over how we can pursue God this coming year…
· This is NOT to imply that the past year has been a failure or a false profession…
· Rather, as with all believers, I think you’ll agree that there is room for us to examine ourselves and see just what it is that we can do to draw closer to the Lord and pursue Him even MORE energetically…
· Wars Since 3600 B.C.
· According to the Canadian Army Journal, a former president of the Norwegian Academy of Sciences, aided by historians from England, Egypt, Germany, and India came up with some fantastic figures and findings:
· Since 3600 B.C. the world has known only 292 years of peace. During this period there have been 14,531 wars, large and small, in which 3,640,000,000 people have been killed. The value of the destruction would pay for a golden belt around the world 156 kilometers (97.2 miles) in width and 10 meters (about 33 feet) thick.
· Since 650 B.C. there have been 1,656 arms races, only 16 of which have not ended in war. The remainder have ended in the economic collapse of the countries concerned.
Sometimes I feel like my own Christian life is somewhat like this… I struggle with the Lord, not in any detrimental sense, but because I fail to obey and pursue Him in the fashion that I ought… I suspect that you are much the same
What can we do to do away with those “wars” that afflict us and cause us to displease the Lord?
The first thing is…
9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
· One of the interesting things that gives us bit of context for this passage is that knowledge and wisdom were offered by false teachers in Colossae.
· Paul’s point here is that the one’s to whom he is speaking will listen to and take in ONLY that which comes from God!
· “Spiritual” speaks of that which is given by God’s Holy Spirit.
· It is imperative - for ourselves and for those for whom we Pray, that this is a part of our prayer.
· There is much around us and strong temptation and reason for us to give in to and thus take in false knowledge
We should note the petitions made here...
· The apostle intercedes for five things we ought to echo here:
· Both for ourselves and for others:
1. …for full knowledge of God’s will and spiritual perception, 9;
…that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding
To Read the Rest of This Post - Click the Link Below: